Our Casual Weekly Guitar Making Classes allows students to attend any of our 'workshop open sessions' during the week. Each session lasts for 4 hours. To secure workshop time students book through our online class booking system.
Students who attend the Gold Coast Guitar Making School are personally guided through each and every process during the course. There are no pre-prepared or pre-assembled parts and we take the time to demonstrate both traditional and modern methods of acoustic guitar making and 'demystify' some of the secrets of building exceptional handmade guitars!
There are no prior skills required to attend our classes and we limit our class numbers to ensure that our students take home a high quality handmade custom guitar.
Course Cost & Inclusions
$3500 (inc GST)
Duration: 100 hours of instruction (approx 25 x 4 hour sessions)
- Choosing the style of guitar you wish to build from a broad selection of traditional designs and Fenech Guitars such as;
- Orchestral Model
- Dreadnought (either Martin style or J-45 Drop shoulder style)
- Triple O
- Fenech Guitars 100 model (orchestral)
- Fenech Guitars 200 model (auditorium)
- Fenech Guitars Dreadnought (round shoulder)
- Fenech Guitars 200 mini (small auditorium)
- Hand selecting your tonewoods from our private range of high quality and unique AAA grade timbers
- Guitar design and bracing patterns based on playing preferences & acoustic principles
- Bending the sides of the guitar (all solid woods)
- Joining and bracing a sound board and back (all solid woods)
- Creating your own custom sound hole rosette (solid timber rosette)
- Fitting and gluing the top, back and sides
- Making all internal and external parts from rough stock by hand
- Routing, bending & fitting of all solid timber bindings
- Building, shaping and carving your neck to suit your playing needs
- Cutting and fitting the neck-to-body joint
- Creating your own custom design bridge and headstock
- Making and slotting the fingerboard
- Installing and dressing frets
- Finishing materials and techniques such as natural Danish oil finish
- Final assembly and set-up to critical specifications for superior playability
- Use of all power and hand tools; how to maintain them and work with them safely
- A vast selection of Australian AAA grade back and side sets and some international varieties such as; Blackwood, Cooba, Silky Oak, Qld Maple, Camphor Laurel, NG Rosewood and many others.....
Although we maintain a vast selection of tone woods in house at times it can be difficult to access some species. Please check with us to avoid any disappointment.
- A vast selection of Australian AAA grade soundboards and some international varieties (all subject to availability) such as; Silver Quandong, Bunya Pine, Huon Pine, Blackwood, Mahogany, Sitka Spruce, Englemann Spruce, Western Red Cedar and Australian Cedar
- Quater sawn neck blank and internal blocks options of; Qld Maple, NG Rosewood, Silver Quandong, Silver Ash and others
- Mahogany Kerf linings
- Quater sawn bracing stock to match selected soundboard properties
- Selection of Australian fingerboards and bridges; Gidgee, Mulga, Satin Box, Brigalow, Blackbean, Rose Sheoak, Hairy Oak, River Oak etc
- 2-way truss rod
- Selection of solid timber bindings, purflings and back strips
- selection of timber for a solid timber rosette to match instrument or single circle of Paua shell
- fret wire and fret markers
- High quality coated strings
- Gotoh SG301 Chrome, Gold or Black machine heads
- Nut, saddle and bridge pins (TusQ- value $60)
- Master Grade timber options and select Australian and international timbers available from Fenech Guitars private collection including but not limited to; Tiger Myrtle, Blackheart Sassafras, Gidgee, Indian Rosewood, Blackwood and many more.. (please enquire with us for prices and stock)
- Cutaway either Venetian or Florentine ($350)
- Custom CNC cut head stock inlay. Limited to one basic name or logo made from timber - $150 (Abalone or Paua shell not available)
- Upgrading of machine heads to premium Gotoh 510 in gold, black or chrome (ask for quotation)
- Guitar case (wide selection available to suit our body styles from basic plywood cases through to ABS or Hiscox)
- Professional Satin Lacquer finish applied by Fenech Guitars ($350). Please note that the guitar may need to be left with us for an additional week to undertake this process. Please speak with us about time frames for completion of this option
- Binding to the fingerboard and head stock (enquire for quote)
Casual Session Payment Options.
OPTION 1 - Full Payment Upfront (no limit on sessions/month)
$500 Deposit then $3000 Due First Day
OPTION 2 - Six Installments (limit of 6 x 4hr Sessions/month)
$500 Deposit, 1st Month $600 due first class, then 4 payments of $600 due monthly
Other payment options available on request.