The Gold Coast Guitar Making School now offers a variety of courses, in the art of acoustic guitar building on the Gold Coast, Queensland.
Casual Weekly Guitar Making Classes (click for details)
10 Week Saturday Courses (click for details)
2 Week Intensive Courses (click for details)
Students who attend the Gold Coast Guitar Making School are personally guided through each and every process during the course. There are no pre-prepared or pre-assembled parts and we take the time to demonstrate both traditional and modern methods of acoustic guitar making and 'demystify' some of the secrets of building exceptional handmade guitars!
Our approach is somewhat unique in the sense that we are also full time acoustic guitar makers who produce world class custom acoustic guitars for the Australian and International market! The Gold Coast Guitar Making School is located in Fenech Guitars purpose built workshop and students who attend our courses will gain unprecedented access to all our workshop has to offer, including;
- fully air conditioned and humidity controlled work spaces with air filtration and dust extraction on all machinery
- seeing and choosing from our vast selection of master grade tonewoods
- seeing and using traditional and modern jig's for the accurate construction of acoustic guitars
- ability to choose from Fenech Guitars custom guitar shapes and designs
- choosing from any number of comfortable workbenches available
- witnessing a range of custom Fenech Guitars being handmade within the workshop by resident guitar makers, not to mention test driving a few.
- experiencing a safe, friendly and collaborative environment where guitar makers and students both past and present come to meet, exchange ideas and of course play music!
There are no prior skills required to attend our classes and we limit our class numbers to ensure that our students take home a high quality handmade custom guitar.
Instruction & Guidance
During the Course
- Choosing the style of guitar from our selection you wish to custom build
- Discussion of addition design options for your guitar (see optional extras)
- Hand selecting your tonewoods from our range of high quality and unique AAA grade timbers
- Guitar design and bracing patterns based on playing preferences & acoustic principles
- Bending the back and sides of the guitar (all solid woods)
- Joining and bracing a sound board and back (all solid woods)
- Creating your own custom sound hole rosette
- Fitting and gluing the top, back and sides
- Making all internal and external parts from rough stock by hand
- Building, shaping and carving your neck to suit your playing needs
- Cutting and fitting the neck-to-body joint
- Creating your own custom design bridge and headstock
- Making and slotting the fingerboard
- Installing and dressing frets
- Finishing materials and techniques such as natural Danish oil finish
- Final assembly and set-up to critical specifications for superior playability
- Use of all power and hand tools; how to maintain them and work with them safely
Includes all materials, tonewoods, machine heads, timber rosette, truss rod, nut, saddle, fret dots and strings.
For more details on each course click the links belowRegister Your Interest Enrol Today