Guitar Making Short Course [5 Days]
Our Guitar Making Short Course is the only one of its kind in Australia.
If you have always wanted to make a guitar but are a little short on time, our short course may just be the answer. In 5 days you will be taken through every critical aspect of making a guitar.. The hand crafting of your guitar can be achieved in a shorter time frame than our other courses, as it incorporates some components which are partially shaped, joined and critically machined, by a professional Luthier, here at Fenech Guitars. Our Guitar Making Short Course is the only one of its kind in Australia utilising Australian tonewoods prepared in our workshop, not imported kit material from overseas!
This additional time saving allows us to include instruction and guidance on some of the finer details like 'voicing' the sound board of your instrument and other critical aspects which impact the tone and play-ability of the guitar.
Make no mistake this is still very much a hands on process and each student will still construct their complete guitar in a professional guitar workshop under the expert guidance of Luthier - Aaron Fenech. This approach will ensure that correct building methods are adhered to (including the use of accurate jigs, specific machinery whilst controlling temperature and humidity) resulting in a high quality guitar.
As with all of our courses, this course is delivered out of the Fenech Guitars workshop/studio where students can immerse themselves in the culture and vibe of a full time guitar makers environment and gain experience utilising purpose built tools and jigs used to create world class Fenech guitars on a daily basis.
There are no prior skills required to attend our courses.
$3500 (inc GST)
Duration: 40 hours of instruction over 5 days straight - 8 hr days Monday to Friday (optional 6th day may be required)
Course Details & Instruction
- Choosing the style of guitar you wish to build from either a traditional Orchestral or Dreadnought model
- Discussion of guitar design and bracing patterns based on playing preferences & acoustic principles
- Gluing of all internal braces, blocks and kerf linings
- Finalise the shaping of all internal braces to 'voice' the guitar for optimal tone and performance
- Fitting and gluing the top, back and sides
- Routing, bending & fitting bindings
- Finalise the shaping of your neck to suit your playing needs
- Personalise the shaping of your head stock
- Fitting the neck-to-body joint
- Installing and gluing the rosette
- Installing the truss rod
- Gluing the fingerboard and neck to the guitar
- Installing and dressing frets
- Finishing techniques to achieve a satin lacquer finish
- Final assembly and set-up to critical specifications for superior playability
- Use of all power and hand tools; how to maintain them and work with them safely
- High quality Australian Blackwood, Camphor Laurel or NG Rosewood
- Silver Quandong, Bunya Pine or Sitka Spruce soundboard
- Queensland Maple neck, neck blocks and linings
- Gidgee fingerboard and bridge
- 2-way truss rod
- ABS binding
- Herringbone rosette
- Fret wire and fret markers
- High quality coated strings
- Gotoh SG301 chrome machine heads
- Nut, saddle and bridge pins
- Aerosol finish of satin laquer
Optional Extras (additional costs apply)
- Custom CNC cut head stock inlay. Limited to one basic name or logo made from timber - $150 (Abalone or Paua shell not available)
- Upgrading of machine heads to premium Gotoh 510 in gold, black or chrome (ask for quotation)
- Professional Satin Lacquer finish applied by Fenech Guitars ($350). Please note that the guitar may need to be left with us for an additional week to undertake this process. Please speak with us about time frames for completion of this option
- Guitar case (wide selection available to suit our body styles from basic plywood cases through to ABS or Hiscox)